Chicago Shuffle: The Windy City Shuffleboard League
Updated September 12, 2017
Do The Shuffle
Chicagoans are cautiously optimistic sports enthusiasts thanks to the volcanic performance of local teams - shout out to the 1985 Chicago Bears, doing the Super Bowl Shuffle. Yep, that's the last time Da Bears won Da Superbowl. Remember that? Our website analytics suggest...well, don't worry 'bout it. Current events suggest Da Bears volcano is currently dormant but could strike at any moment. Perhaps a GIF of Rizzo riding a cursed goat would be more appropriate here, but to our knowledge that doesn't (yet) exist.
There are plenty of Chicago bars with shuffleboard tables, but only a select few offer shuffleboard leagues. In conjunction with SHUFFLE USA, Bevver.com facilitates and manages Chicago Shuffle leagues - you can head straight to league sign-up or subscribe to Chicago Shuffle's newsletter.
Chicago Shuffleboard League Format:
- Teams of at least 2 players, ideally 4 or more players to allow for subs
- Weekly matches are scheduled between 6pm and 9pm and take about an hour
- Come early and stay late to enjoy team drinks and exclusive league member specials (varies by location)
- Play the best of 3 games
- 6 week league plus playoffs and championship tournament
- Choose between single location league or rotating format
This is your chance to compete for the title of Chicago Shuffle Champions! Start choreographing your own shuffle victory dance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do I need to know how to play shuffleboard to be in a league?
A. No. Chicago Shuffle is for all skill levels and the league manager will help any players learning for the first time. If you haven't shuffled before or it's been a while, check out this article about how to play shuffleboard. As the league grows we may add divisions based on skill level, but until then all levels are in the shuffle.
Q. How many people do I need to play?
A. All games are doubles and require 2 players. If you'd like to join the league as a free agent we will place you on a team. Teams may have more than 2 players to accommodate schedules/availability of substitutes and to maximize our fun levels! Only 2 players per team will play in any given frame, but multiple combinations of players could play in a game (and match).
Q. When are the games and how many do I play?
A. Each team plays one match per week on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights, which is the best of 3 games. Matches will take about an hour, and teams are encouraged to come all night regardless of their start time to socialize, enjoy league member specials, and support the bars hosting them.
Q. How do I score?
A. We will use cancellation scoring, with all weights in scoring zones counting toward a team's score. After each frame, the team that scored more points will subtract the score of the other team's points and add that number to their overall score. Example: Team A scores 8 points and team B scores 1 point. Team A would get 7 points after subtracting 1 from 8. Games may switch to sudden death if games run beyond their allotted time slot.
Q. Who do I contact with more questions?
Please send an email to Chicago Shuffle with questions.
CHICAGO SHUFFLE LOCATIONS
BRIDGET MCNEILL'S, LAKEVIEW EAST
Reasons to join a Chicago Shuffle League at Bridget McNeill's:
- Bragging rights that you are in a shuffleboard league
- Crazy bragging rights for winning said shuffle league
- Play darts or board games in between games
- Watch the Cubs and other sports on TV
- Grab a bite to eat from the tasty food menu
- Great weekly specials as well as league-member exclusives
- Stay warm by the fireplace or cool near the lakefront
Bridget McNeill's is located at 420 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL 60657 in East Lakeview, steps from the #77 #146 #151 #156 and walking distance from the Belmont Red Line Stop. Free street parking is available or there is a valet garage nearby run by Standard Parking (availability and rates subject to change).
KING'S DINING & ENTERTAINMENT, NEW CITY/LINCOLN PARK
- Great happy hour food and drink specials
- Stay after league for free bowling and other games
- Plenty of TVs to watch sporting action that isn't your shuffle game
- Play foosball, giant Jenga, air hockey, jumbo Connect Four and more when you're not shuffling
- The only location we know of in Chicago to have a bank shot shuffleboard table (in addition to standard format)
King's Dining and Entertainment is located at 1500 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago, IL 60610 in Lincoln Park's New City complex, steps from the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and the #8 Halsted bus. There is also a parking structure on-site.
GARAGE BAR AND SANDWICHES, NORWOOD PARK
Reasons to play in a shuffleboard league at The Garage:
- Over 130 beers to choose from, free team drinks and a full food menu
- Rooftop patio with a flatscreen TV to enjoy between games
- Dart boards upstairs
- Play bingo the 3rd Tuesday of the month for cool prizes
The Garage Chicago is located at 6154 N. Milwaukee Ave Chicago, IL 60646 in Norwood Park, where Elston meets Milwaukee, along the #270 Milwaukee bus and near the #86 Nagle bus.